Camp Henry has been really thriving these past several years, including:
- Having record breaking summer camp enrollment each year for the past 3 years – setting the all-time record this past summer with 1,904 summer campers attending
- Building 12 new cabins and 4 new apartments – increasing our year-round lodging capacity to 275
- Renovating Idema Theater, adding giant hydraulic doors and heat
- Completing a $1.2 million Dining Hall renovation and expansion – increasing capacity from 187 to 300
- Constructing a new 3,200 square foot Maintenance Building
- Welcoming over 5,000 guests each year, beyond the summer campers we serve
Almost every week of Summer Camp 2019 was already Sold Out by October, 2018. We are serving groups just about every weekend year-round and almost every day from April through October.
It has been such an incredible blessing and opportunity to be able to serve so many campers and guests. Yet, with our continued growth we have some pressing needs.
Two of Camp Henry’s primary goals include:
- Increasing the number of people that have a Camp Henry experience
- Improving and Enhancing the Camp Henry experience
Adding a large, covered, and heated Recreation space will be a game-changer in terms of working toward these two goals.
Currently, without an indoor recreation space, it is really challenging to providing outstanding experiences to campers and guests – in particular from November through March. In addition, even though we can sleep and feed 275 guests year round – without the program space to serve them – we often need to turn groups away that would love to be on the Shores of Old Lake Kimball.
The new Recreation Pavilion will provide:
- Over 7,400 s.f. of covered recreation space
- Courts that can be used for basketball, volleyball, pickle ball, dodge ball, etc..
- A stage for speakers, talent shows, music and bands, and performances
- Multiple High Adventure and Climbing Activities
- Bathrooms, storage areas, and a covered porch and patio
The goal is to break ground on this facility in March of 2019 and to have it completed by mid-June, 2019 when summer camp begins.
This new facility will allow Camp Henry to extend the Camp Henry experience to thousands of additional campers and guests and throughout the entire year.